Random Thoughts

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Penne Pasta with Vodka Sauce

So last week the LML was home for the entire week, sheesh, just kidding it was nice having him home all week.  So every night he looks at me and says "Whatcha making me tonight?"  So the other night I thought hmm what can I make him and satisfy my resolution at the same time?  I thought hmmm vodka sauce yezz I will make zee vodka sauce and you will love zee vodka sauce (that was me doing my Russian accent:) So I said a quick prayer to the pantry god (betcha didn't even know there was such a thing) please let me find all the right stuff!  And voila I did (ok I made a couple substitutes but no biggie).  And get this, this recipe only took me about 20 minutes pictures and all!!
Here are the players



  • 1 pound Penne Pasta
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1/2 medium size Onion, chopped fine
  • 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
  • ¾ cups Vodka
  • 1 can Tomato Sauce (recipe called for Puree)
  • 1 cup Heavy Cream
  • 1 small pinch Red Pepper Flakes (more if you like a little kick)
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • Pepper, To Taste
  • 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • I also added a few chopped mushrooms as well


Cook the Penne Pasta according to the package be careful not to over cook.


Chop up the onion and garlic.  Small tip take the can of sauce and smash (not too hard) the garlic and the skin will slip right off.  So you know I hate chopping onion, cause I hate to cry, but I actually did chop the onion rather than using my Pampered Chef chopper which I love.





this is me chopping:( and crying but just a little

Next In a large skillet over medium heat, warm up the olive oil and butter. 



When the butter is melted, add in the chopped onion and garlic. Stir and cook for roughly two minutes. 


Look how pretty (I used a red onion cause it was so pretty..naw it was what I had:)





Pour in zee vodka. Stir and cook for three minutes.  Don't worry when you first add the vodka it will be a little watery looking but the vodka cooks off pretty quickly.








Add in the tomato sauce and stir until completely mixed, isn't so beautiful and it smells delicious. Reduce heat to LOW.  




Now it is time to add the cream and it is important to use heavy cream, no half and half here.




mmmmmmm so good.
Stir gently to mix and add the red pepper flakes (if you like a little kick otherwise skip it) and salt and pepper




See now get real close to the screen and inhale deeply, you can almost smell it!
So while we were making the sauce our pasta was cooking and has been drained right?? 


Now add the sauce to the penne and mix in cheese and stir, remove from heat.












It is fantastic.  Now don't eat it right out of the pan mind your manners and get a bowl :)



Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment